Being well informed is the best way to reduce worries and anxieties.
What is COVID-19?
- Coronavirus is the virus that causes the illness COVID-19
- COVID-19 is a respiratory illness that affects the lungs and airways
- It can cause flu like symptoms, including fever, cough and difficulty breathing
- The infection is not serious for most people including children
- People most affected by the virus tend to be the elderly and those with underlying medical conditions however anyone can get COVID-19
- Most people get better with enough rest, water to drink and medicine for pain
- You can only catch it if you have been close to a person who has the virus
The NHS website provides more advice:
What can you do?
The most important advice to follow is here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/social-distancing/what-you-need-to-do/
- Wash your hands
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
- Stay at least 2 metres (3 steps) away from anyone you do not live with when outside your home
Children will naturally be anxious at this time. See our pages on how to help children understand what is going on: https://www.thepinesschool.org.uk/pastoral-support/
Fact based websites
There is a lot of information out there, but not all of it is accurate.
Check the news once a day.
Hearing bad things all the time can make us feel sad and helpless.
It can make us think that the situation is much worse than it is.
The Council's Public Health Team has put together a web page at https://health.bracknell-forest.gov.uk/coronavirus/ which has useful information in one place:
- NHS - looking after your health
- PHE (Public Health England) - myth busting information about Coronavirus
- Self-isolating - what it is and why it is important
- Social distancing - what it is and why it is important
- Shielding - guidance for people who are clinically extremely vulnerable
- Government guidance - What you can and cannot do
To help your children understand more about COVID-19, why not have a look at our Helping Kids Cope page?