Mrs Chandler, Mrs Stepien and Miss Wells
Welcome to The Orchard - the place where we come together to learn.
Start time: 8.40am - 8.55am
Finish time: 3.10pm
The Orchard has been created to support young people with a variety of needs and pupils within our school. The aim of The Orchard is for the pupils to:
- have the potential ability to access their year group curriculum and be comfortable in a classroom environment but, for reasons associated with their communication and interaction difficulties or learning and additional needs, be unable to make sufficient progress or fulfil their potential in a whole class placement.
- have access to a curriculum that is personalised to their needs relating to the outcomes on their EHCP/IPM
- be comfortable in a classroom environment and have a level of cognition and language that enables them to access at least some of the whole class curriculum and learning environment.
- benefit from small group intervention work to meet their needs identified within their EHCP or specific targets set by outside agencies.
- benefit from regular sensory input and breaks built in-to their school day.
- benefit from attending some of their year group classes and from regular social interaction with their peers.
- access additional specialist support, in order to successfully achieve their educational outcomes.
- gain strategies to manage increasing independence in their learning and achieve their full potential through the additional support and targeted intervention available.
29th March - 1st April Science Week 2021
We all became Scientists this week. As part of our Science Week we had lots of investigations using lots of different materials. We planted seeds and will watch and wait for them to grow. We worked together to build a suspension bridge. We also learnt about wind energy and designed and made our own windmills. We even found time to build our own cars, lava lamps and flitter jars. All this fun learning in just 4 days!!
February 2021 More excitement in The Orchard this week - our new outside area is open and ready to use. Now we can extend our learning to outside.
We have already had lots of learning opportunities and look forward to spending time outside now it is getting warmer.
February 2021 There was lots of excitement in The Orchard this week as we 'moved out' for a couple of days so our new floor could be put down - and what a difference it has made!
Now we can have lots of messy fun with our learning.
Having fun with our learning
Talk for Writing
Learning this half term:
This term it is all about bugs.
We are going to be focusing on the story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle and will even get the chance to watch how a caterpillar changes in real life!
We are doing lots of practical maths this half term including how to measure how big an object is and how full a container is.
We will also be carrying on getting better at using lots of resources to help us work out the total amount of something.
We are now going to be able to join our Year 1 classes for some of our lessons. We will join our friends for PE outside as well as some other topic lessons in the afternoons.
Our PE days are: Monday and Thursday
Phonics: We spend time every day learning and using our phonics. We use this to help us with our reading and writing.
Reading: We read as often as possible and apply our phonics learning to help us.
Fine Motor Skills: We are always doing lots of activities that make our hands strong. We do lots of cutting, threading, play-doh work. All these things are fun and we are getting stronger at the same time.
Speech and Language: We work on any specific targets that have been set for specific children as well as ongoing activities to develop understanding of language.
Social Skills: We spend a lot of time supporting social interaction through guided play activities and small group work.
We work hard to follow all the specific elements in each child's individual provision map to ensure that targets from EHCPs are met.