Divorce and Separation
Separation or divorce can be a difficult time for everyone. It can be especially confusing for children who may feel hurt, anger even relief then guilt. It is common for children to blame themselves for what is happening to their parents.
The NSPCC website has lots of useful resources but offers these important tips for parents to:
- remind children that they're loved by both parents
- be honest when talking about it but keep in mind the child's age and understanding
- avoid blame and don't share any negative feelings the adults have about each other
- keep up routines such as going to school and specific meal times
- let them know they can talk about their feelings with you – explain that it's okay to be sad, confused or angry
- listen more than you speak – answering questions will help them to open up.